Top safety tips for new homeowners in Wichita
If you recently acquired your first home or you’re about to, congratulations! It’s a thrilling time for your family. You’re likely considering the many ways you might personalize your property with furnishings, paint, and decor. But, before you get too far, be sure you consider home security as well. Keeping your loved ones protected should always be a point of emphasis, and we’ll help you do so with these safety tips for new homeowners in Wichita.
Conduct a safety review of your new Wichita property
Now that you’re considering safety, find out what your new home has in place. To begin, make certain you have working smoke alarms. Try every one and change batteries if necessary. Are carbon monoxide detectors on site? Is there a water sensor downstairs? This is also an excellent time to replace door locks and check all locking mechanisms on windows. Go through each room and scope out your property.
Smart security tips for your Wichita home
Once you’ve completed your preliminary inspection of locks and safety alarms, you should consider enhancing your protection. Begin with these security tips for your home in Wichita.
- Invest in a modern home security system. One of the top tools for new homeowners in Wichita is a home security system. The latest in wireless advancements let you keep tabs on your property even when you’re away. You may view up-to-the-second video footage, control door locks, and even communicate with visitors on your front steps right from your cell phone. You can customize with amazing security features like video surveillance and monitored safety alarms.
- Upgrade exterior lighting. Outdoor lights with motion detection are a great way to deter prospective burglars. You may even integrate them with outdoor cameras. The tripping of a motion detector can signal your video equipment to begin recording.
- Keep your property nicely groomed. Do you have an unblocked perspective of your property from inside? Are there oversized shrubs and trees blocking the view? Get rid of likely hiding spots for trespassers by keeping your yard well groomed. Your neighbors will be grateful for it also.
- Get to know people in your community. Speaking of your neighbors, get acquainted with them. If you are friendly with people close to you, there’s a greater likelihood they’ll inform you if they see suspicious activity. You can also connect to your community’s social media presence if one is created.
- Take advantage of home automation. If you go with an innovative smart home, you can make it look like you’re home by activating smart light bulbs at programmed times. This is a nice option when you’re away.